So I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before but I love Doctor Who. The new Doctor who episodes are ok, but nothing beats the old ones from when I was a kid. Those are my favorite and my favorite Doctor was played by Tom Baker.
Well, I knitted my parents a dalek last year. Since giving them the dalek, it has run amok in their house. So I thought this was the perfect chance to get to make them another doctor who related item. And because Tom Baker is my favorite Doctor, I thought it was only right that he be the doctor that I made to help keep the dalek under control.
I searched the internet, but I couldn’t find a pattern for a Tom Baker Doctor. So I adapted snuffykin’s pattern to make my doctor.
I used a mix of different yarns. I think a majority of the doctor was made out of red heart. It is easy to crochet and it will stand up to any abuse that it might take from doing battle with the dalek.
This was worked with yellow yarn.
1-14. Sc all
15. *Sc2 Sc2Tog. Repeat from *
16. *Sc1 Sc2Tog. Repeat from *
Break the yarn and work it through the last stitch.
This is the going to give an egg shaped head. I think I would have prefered a standard round head instead.
This was worked with flesh colored yarn.
1. magic ring to make 6 Sc stitches
2. 2Sc in each St (12 sts)
3. Sc around. (skip this row if you want a round head)
4. *Sc in next st, 2 Sc into next st) repeat * (18 sts)
5. Sc around. (skip this row if you want a round head)
6. *Sc into each of the next 2 sts, 2 Sc in next st. Repeat * (24 sts)
7. *Sc into each of the next 3 sts, 2 Sc in next st. Repeat * (30 sts)
8-14. Sc around
15. *Sc into next 3 sts, Sc2Tog. Repeat * (24 sts)
16. *Sc into next 2 sts, Sc2Tog. Repeat * (18 sts)
17. *Sc into next st, Sc2Tog. Repeat * (12 sts)
Break the yarn and work it through the last st.
Arms Make 2
Using flesh colored yarn, Ch 2.
1. Magic ring 4 St (4 sts)
2. *2Sc into next st. Repeat * (8 sts)
3-4. Sc around
5. *Sc2Tog. Repeat * (4 sts) Stuff Hand
Change to yellow shirt color
6. *2Sc in next st. Repeat * (8 sts)
7. *Sc in each of the next 3 sts, 2 Sc in next st. Repeat * (10 sts)
8-13. Sc around.
Break yarn and work it through the final sts. Stuff the arms.
Pu 24 sts from the bottom of the body.
3. *Sc next 3 sts, Sc2Tog. repeat* (18 sts)
4. * Sc next 2 sts, Sc2Tog. repeat* (12 sts)
Break yarn, leaving a long tail. Using a yarn needle stitch up the bottom so only the neck is open. Go ahead and stuff the body.
Feet and Legs Make 2
In black Ch 2
1. Magic Ring 5 (5 Sts)
2. 2Sc in first St, hdc in next st, 3 dc in next st, hdc in next st, 2 sc in last st. (9 sts)
3. 2 Sc in first St, sc in each of the next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in each of the next 3 sts, 2 sc in last st. (12 sts)
4. 2 Sc in next st, sc in each of the next 3 sts, sc2tog, sc2tog, sc in each of the next 3 sts, 2 sc in last st (12 sts)
5. Sc in first st, sc2tog, sc in each of the next 6 sts, sc2tog, sc in last st. (10 sts)
6. Sc in each of the next 8 sts, sc2tog. (9 sts)
7. Sc2Tog, sc in each of the next 7 sts. (8 sts)
Using brown yarn for pants
8. *Sc in next st, 2Sc in next st. Repeat * (12 sts)
9. Sc around
10. Sc in next 4 sts. Sc2tog, sc in the next 4 sts, sc2tog (10 sts)
11-15. Sc around (you can do additional rounds till the legs are the length you want. 15 was enough for me).
Break yarn and work through final sts. Stuff legs.
Make sure Arms and Legs are stuffed and sew them onto the body. I used safety eyes for the doctor. To do the hair. I did a Sc starting in the middle of the head and spiraling around. I pulled a loop out as I finished each Sc And held it while I did the next Sc.
After the hair has been put and the head stuffed, sew the head on to the body.
Now for the fun part, making the Coat and scarf.
Sleeve Make 2
I did this in red.
1. Ch 13, Sl 1 to join round
2-11. Sc or until desired sleeve length.
Break yarn and work through last sts.
2. Sc1 Sl4 Sc11 Sl4 Sc1
3.Sc1 Ch4 Sc11 Ch4 Sc1 (Rows 2 and 3 will make arm holes)
4 -? Sc all
I stopped when the coat measured 3.5 inches.
Break yarn and work thought last st.
Sew Sleeves onto Coat and make sure it fits ok on the doctor.
Use whatever colors you have
1-? Sc all
Make the scarf long enough to wrap around the doctor. I also put a little fringe on the end.
I have not tested this pattern for errors. Please let me know if you find any.